Welcome to the Friends of Cherry Tree Wood new website.
The Friends Group is a Registered Charity (No. 1060923). We were established back in the 1990’s and have campaigned over that period to protect and enhance the park and woodland.
We are becoming very active again given the pressure on Local Authority budgets. Our aim is to protect what we have and to try and enhance this beautiful park and woodland.
The Charity has three key objectives:
1. To secure the preservation, protection and improvement of Cherry Tree Wood;
2. To promote high standards of planning and architecture;
3. To educate the public in the geography, history, natural history and architecture of the area of benefit.
We have a very active programme planned for 2019 including:
* campaigning to keep the park locked at night. Barnet Council has plans, to be decided on 14th March 2019, to ditch closing all their parks at night. We have set up a petiton on the 38 degrees website https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/keep-barnet-parks-locked-overnight Please visit, sign the petition and share it with as many friends and family as you can. Thanks.
* preparing a bid for funds to improve the bins, benches, flower beds and reintroduce a bark chip path through the wood.
* consider options for the site of the Pavillion which Barnet has decided to demolish.
* Hold two guided walks each year on the history and ecology of the Wood and two litter picks.
* Hold a bird and bat box making day in September.
This and much more is being worked on. At our recent AGM we decided to do away with membership fees for the foreseeable future and concentrate instead on attracting a supporter list through social media etc. We will fundraise for specific projects.
Do ask to be included on our mailing lists so that you get up to date information about us. You can also check out our Facebook page for more regular updates and over the coming months we hope to set up Twitter and Instgram accounts.
We need your support for the Wood. If you can offer help or just want to hear about our activities and what we are getting up to then please drop us an email to: [email protected]